It was founded right after the conquest, on lands belonging to the pre-Hispanic kingdom of Daute . It owes its name to the three cereal deposits constructed for storage purposes by the Portuguese Gonzalo Yanes or Gonzalianes, due to the fact that agriculture is and continues to be, the main activity of the municipality, that has cereal surpluses available for export.
On the Portuguese’s farmstead there was a temple dedicated to La Concepción around the middle of the XVI century, but the inhabitants of the place built a church under the name of Our Lady of the Light (Nuestra Señora de La Luz), that reached the category of parochial church in 1605, with approval of the bishop don Francisco Martínez, separating with some discrepancies from the patronage of Buenavista.
The place had a mayor since the XVI century, dependent on the Chapter House of La Laguna , and designated by the Island’s Chief Magistrate.
In the XVII century, the convent of Las Bernardas is founded.
Places of Historical Interest
Ancient Daute Sugar Mill
End of the XIX century
Parochial Church of Our Lady of the Light